As the year speeds by, we're coming up to the clocks going back on Sunday 28th October.
Insurers highlight that darker nights correspond with a one third increase in burglary and
other thefts so now is a great time to consider your security. Many break-ins occur in the
late afternoon and evenings when homes are left unoccupied and in darkness. These simple
tips can help protect your home:
- Use timer switches to bring on lamps and radios to make it look as if there's someone in
- Ensure all doors and windows are secure when you leave and when you go to bed
- Fit and use a good quality lock on any garden shed or outhouse
- Security mark your personal items with a UV marker pen - take pictures of items you cannot mark.
- Record the make, model and serial numbers of your property
- If possible, use security lighting at the front and rear of your home
- For more information about home security, see the advice from