Big Bike Revival - Community Cycle Clubs
Cycling UK want to help you set up cycling activities, called "Community Cycle Clubs"
and they can be personalised with your own group name. These are grassroots and focused
on increasing participation and confidence rather than sport, we aim to contact established
community groups and provide them with access to training, tailored support and insurance
so they can begin running their own cycling activities on their terms and challenging local barriers.
Cycling UK worked with 81 community groups across Scotland during September and
October last year to deliver the Big Bike Revival, a 6 week intervention aimed at
encouraging people to cycle for everyday journeys. Our intervention has seen over
500 events and activities take place during these months. We would like to support
more community organisations engage in cycling activity by developing Community Cycle
Clubs. Some more information on Community Cycle Clubs and how to become one is detailed below.
What is a Community Cycle Club?
- Community Cycle Clubs are developed by Cycling UK to support existing groups and community organisations to deliver cycling activities that are open to all.
- Community Cycle Clubs offer activities such as led rides for beginners, bike maintenance and bike recycling. They provide a social environment to gain confidence and skills on a bike, improve fitness and have fun!
- Cycling UK provides support tailored to their needs through access to equipment, training, insurance and advice. They are part of our UK wide network of community clubs, cycling groups, and thousands of individual members that support people from all backgrounds to access cycling.
- Community Cycle Clubs are created by working closely with established community groups so that cycling activities can be tailored to meet the needs and interests of local people that have already come together for a common purpose.
Why become a Community Cycle Club?
- Dedicated Development Officer time offering knowledge specific to region and local authority area
- Access to free training and development opportunities (First Aid Training, Cycle Ride Leader Training and Trail Side Repair Training from Feb-April)
- Free Cycling UK Affiliation worth £75 with subscription to monthly Cycle magazine, newsletters, shop discounts etc.
- Free starter pack for your Community Cycle Club including First Aid Kit, Multi-tool and other essential start up accessories.
- Networking opportunities – Regional networking events taking place in Scotland in March 2017
- Information and signposting to initiatives and programmes beneficial to your activities
If you are interested in becoming a Community Cycle Club or for more information,
please get in touch.
Big Bike Revival Development Officer North Scotland
Direct Line: 07887567361
More information at: www.cyclinguk.org/project/big-bike-revival