Fuel Theft - Crime Prevention Advice
The following advice has been circulated on behalf of Police Scotland.
Due to the recent rise in theft of fuel from domestic and commercial tanks across Scotland please find below some tips to avoid becoming a victim of such a crime:
- Deter thieves from entering your property by installing and using lockable gates and by maintaining boundaries and perimeter fencing;
- Plant shrubs or install fences to hide exposed domestic heating oil tanks from the eyes of opportunist thieves cruising the neighbourhood;
- Consider fitting a locking cap to your tank;
- Check tank oil levels regularly;
- Where possible install automatic movement sensor security lighting to cover your tank and the immediate surrounding area;
- Note suspicious vehicle registration numbers and report them to the police through the 101 number;
- If tanks are located in outbuildings or sheds, ensure these are kept locked;
- Be aware that if thieves have already stolen fuel from your tank they may return to steal any replacement oil you order;
- Be especially vigilant following a recent delivery of oil/diesel;
- Consider fitting an alarm system that notifies you if fuel is being drained from the tank.
Report any suspicious activity, or those involved, to Police Scotland by calling 101. In an emergency, call 999.
Original message sent by: Willie Clark (NHWN, National Co - ordinator, Neighbourhood Watch Scotland)